Erika Garcia is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist who has been in counseling practice for the past 19 years. Mrs. Garcia enjoys working with individuals, couples and children and she also enjoys facilitating groups. Mrs. Garcia graduated in 1998 with a Master in Counseling Psychology from National University. Most recently Mrs. Garcia made the decision to pursue a Doctorate Degree in Psychology with a specialization in health psychology and behavioral medicine. Mrs. Garcia has recently completed all course work and is pending her dissertation. Pursuing this degree has allowed Mrs. Garcia to obtain knowledge and experience in working with individuals who have a combination of medical health issues as well as psychological health issues. Mrs. Garcia has worked as a Behavioral Consultant at a primary care clinic in the community for a period of 2 years. She enjoys working with the Latino population as well as people of different cultures and backgrounds. She is bilingual and bicultural in Spanish.
During her experience as a marriage and family therapist, Mrs. Garcia has provided services in the following areas:
- Management of mood disorders.
- Management of anxiety disorders.
- Management of attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder.
- Management of Trauma and stressor related disorders.
- Management of somatic symptom disorders.
- Management of elimination disorders (Children only).
- Management of some substance related and addictive disorders
- Domestic violence victim and aggressor.
- Counseling for children and adolescents dealing with a whole array of issues.
- Child abuse( physical, emotional and neglect) counseling victim and aggressor.
- Management of issues related to diversity/ cultural issues.
- Management of disorders involving mind-body connection.
- Brief counseling on issues such as: smoking cessation, weight management, stress management, anger management, work related issues.
Mrs. Garcia has an eclectic approach to treatment. However, she has received training in the following therapeutic modalities: crisis intervention, psychoeducation, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), client centered therapy, creative therapies, solution focus therapy, dialectical behavioral therapy, trauma focused cognitive therapy and art and play oriented techniques. In addition, Mrs. Garcia is a certified Domestic Violence facilitator and she is also certified to provide parenting child abuse prevention groups to clients mandated by the court or Child Protective Services. Mrs. Garcia also has received training as a Christian Counselor.